(Mori)Bus Philosophorum: Move Your Feet, Give Up Your Seat

There are times when I really feel like I'm about six fist shakes away from being someone who says, "People these days! No respect!" and is exasperated. Well, I'm exasperated pretty much all the time, so maybe I'm only five fist shakes away. I swear, there is a porch and a garden hose in my future.

The level of respect our society has for the elderly and disabled among us is depressingly evident on the bus. This morning I watched as an older man (maybe mid-70s) boarded and surveyed the bus for open seats. There were two open towards the back where I was, but he opted to stand at the front and cling to one of the hand straps. I telepathically said to the people sitting around him, "Um, someone, get up and give that guy your seat. Please? No one? Really? Seriously, no one is going to offer this poor man his seat?! I can not believe people these days! NO RESPECT! Where's my garden hose?"

This happens all the time and I'd like to encourage everyone to stop it, right now. Stop thinking that you're the most important person in the world, and be polite. I know what's going on in most people's heads. They get a seat and think, "Iiiiiii'm safe, nya nya. I got a se-eeeeat and you-oo do-on't." Stop it. If you see someone in a wheelchair about to get on the bus, please don't roll your eyes. Have a modicum of respect for people who are not as lucky as you are.

Now, I'm going back up to the porch. Be nice.

Comments

Popular Posts