Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! Welcome to 2011. One time, years ago, I actually made a New Year's resolution and stuck with it for six whole months. It was exercise-related and was the only time in my adult life I was under 150 pounds. This year, for some reason, I feel like I can conquer the world. It may have something to do with a successful professional leap I took over the weekend (beginning my sure-to-be illustrious career as a part-time wedding singer) but, whatever it stems from, I'm seizing the moment, daggummit, and making a whole slew of resolutions. Hopefully one will stick.

I resolve to:
  • Actually start exercising again. I bought a new yoga mat, pulled my sneaks out of storage and am looking into buying a Wii Fit Plus (because I'm realistic and know that it may be my best motivation. "Ooo, I feel like playing Wii. Might as well do a workout!" <-- That's what I hope will happen in my head.)
  • Take more creative risks. 'Nuff said.
  • Be more social. Most days I am a quivering mass of social anxiety. Each and every get-together, appointment, party and potluck makes me stress out from the moment it's planned. Obviously not healthy, and sometimes I think people get the wrong impression, like I don't want to be hanging out when in reality I'm crippled by my nerves. I have to get over this!
  • Learn some serenity. There is so little in this life that we have total control over, and just going with the flow is a great way to stay happy. I look back at every stage of my life and how I just wanted to move on, to grow up, to get out. Now I want to sit back and enjoy without trying to get on to the next.
  • Be more organic, more green, and leave less of a footprint. I make this resolution every year and am actually pretty proud of how much I've accomplished along these lines. But there's so much room for improvement. Always.

6 comments:

s. said...

Wii Fit is great, but even GREATER (since you already own a Wii, you lucky bitch) is streaming Netflix through your Wii and doing Crunch-series workout videos. There are many. They are fun and way harder than anything else I've ever done at home. (Good resolutions!)

Leigh Cummings said...

Shut up! I had no idea that you could do that. *pulls up Netflix queue* Thank you so much! Cheers!

ponygirls said...

Leigh...I love it. You have always been such a strong willed person, I know you will do great! :) <3 you! - Mel

Sue Rock said...

I have the exact same anxiety problems with meet-ups, meetings, parties... I realized it had more to do with me being uncomfortable with me - so I forced myself to do stuff alone. Now, when I go into a situation, I'm more comfortable with myself, which helps me interact with others. Make sense? Not to me either, but I swear it helped. I'm still convinced that people won't/don't like me - I guess I'm just more okay with it, and willing to put myself out there. :)

Serenity eluded me for the first 34ish years of my life (no joke). Now, when things are bad, I remind myself they've been much worse, and I got through that - and I will get through this too.

Anonymous said...

Would love to hear more about the wedding singing. gs

Leigh Cummings said...

Hey, gs! I did wind up singing for the wedding that was posted as an ARA on OTE. It was an absolute BLAST. We managed to keep it a surprise from the groom and he was so sweet and thankful. Plus I was accompanied by a harpist...amazing.

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated prior to posting.
Happy commenting!