(Mori)Bus Philosophorum: Pet Peeves

I’m in a, “Michael Moore mood” (what I call that state of mind where you feel like pointing out the world’s problems without presenting solutions for them.) The bus is, overall, a pretty pleasant experience but certain things just grind my gears. So here are my top five six bus pet peeves:


Paying $55 for a Swiper. I know, I know, it’s nothing compared to the expense of having a car but it’s also more than my cell phone bill. That just seems wrong.

Bus.driv.ers.who.ride.the.brakes. Uuuuuugh…my stomach.

People who listen to music on personal devices. Out loud. I worked up the courage to be passive aggressive last week. A guy in front of me was blaring music from his phone and I started kicking his seat in time. When he spun around to glare at me I acted embarrassed, saying, “Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I just love this song.” He turned around. And turned it off.

Leaky roofs. When it rains all the water collects on the tops of the buses and then sloshes around as they move, spilling at intervals through the rooftop vents. It’s been raining a lot lately. (The only delightful part about this is how you can kind of judge which seats will be the wetest and avoid them then watch other people get caught off guard.)

Bus Relativity. Most of the time I manage to remember by iPod and book. When I have them the commute seems to last about ten seconds. Run out the door without them, though, and it is pure agony.

Asymmetrical hemlines. I guess this is more fashion- than bus-related, but, what the hell, ladies? The ragamuffin look doesn’t work on anyone.

Comments

Popular Posts