(Mori)Bus Philosophorum: Letting Off a Little Crazy

Growing up, whenever I was bored in class (often) I’d indulge in a bizarre, recurring fantasy. (Just to be clear, I know that this is absolutely ridiculous and not especially funny, but its description is important back story.) I’d imagine myself standing up and running full speed to the front of the classroom, where I would smack into the chalkboard and fall down, pretending to knocked out. When the teacher and my classmates rushed to help I would wait until they were all standing over me and then whip open my eyes, scream like a banshee, jump up and run out of the classroom. I imagined people would be stunned, then amused, then arrange a psych consult for me. In retrospect I wish I had gone through with it and gotten that obviously necessary counseling, because the fantasy is back and it’s starting to affect my bus experience. If, god forbid, I forget my book I will spend the entire ride picturing similarly unhinged moments. Not just screaming and running, but also more mischievous stuff like ringing the bell for every stop and then acting innocent or walking up and down the aisles tapping everyone on the head. I’m not going to do any of this, of course. So does that mean I’m insane for coming up with this nonsense in the first place or sane for suppressing the urge to use the metal bars lining the bus as a jungle gym? I just don’t know.  Sharing things like this is probably important therapy, just to let off a little of the crazy.  It helps to a point, but still…if you see me on the bus and I have a devilish smile on my face, watch out. Your head may be first.

Comments

Popular Posts